Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Driver who struck LA sheriff’s recruits in deadly crash pleads not guilty to vehicular manslaughter -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Driver who struck LA sheriff’s recruits in deadly crash pleads not guilty to vehicular manslaughter
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 14:01:10
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A driver who plowed into a group of Los Angeles County sheriff’s recruits on Indexbit Exchangea training run last year, killing one and injuring two dozen others, pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to vehicular manslaughter.
Nicholas Gutierrez, 23, entered pleas to an 11-count grand jury indictment that also accuses him of severely injuring nine victims through reckless driving, according to a statement from the county District Attorney’s Office.
He remained free on $500,000 bail and could face up to 12 years in state prison if convicted of all charges.
Gutierrez has acknowledged that he was behind the wheel on Nov. 16, 2022, when an SUV veered onto the wrong side of the street and plowed into a group of about 75 recruits from the Sheriff’s Department and other police agencies. They were running in formation on a street near the Los Angeles suburb of Whittier.
Authorities said 25 people were injured, 10 of them severely. One of them, Alejandro Martinez-Inzunza, was hospitalized for eight months before dying from his injuries in July.
Gutierrez told KNBC-TV that he fell asleep at the wheel while heading to work as an electrician installing solar panels.
“I woke up to the sound of (recruits) banging on the windows,” he said.
“I didn’t intentionally do it,” Gutierrez said. “I wish it never happened. I feel bad it happened.”
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Lithium-ion battery fires from electric cars, bikes and scooters are on the rise. Are firefighters ready?
- Neymar announces signing with Saudi Pro League, departure from Paris Saint-Germain
- Umpire Ángel Hernández loses again in racial discrimination lawsuit against MLB
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- The Blind Side Subject Sean Tuohy Breaks Silence on Michael Oher’s Adoption Allegations
- Soldier accused of killing combat medic wife he reported missing in Alaska
- Blind Side Subject Michael Oher Addresses Difficult Situation Amid Lawsuit Against Tuohy Family
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Luke Bryan cancels his Mississippi concert: What we know about his illness
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Small Minnesota town will be without police after chief and officers resign, citing low pay
- No stranger to tragedy, Maui Police Chief John Pelletier led response to 2017 Vegas massacre
- Orange Is the New Black's Taryn Manning Admits to Affair With Married Man
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Why doctors pay millions in fees that could be spent on care
- Biden administration advises colleges on how race of students can be considered in admissions
- American industrial icon US Steel is on the verge of being absorbed as industry consolidates further
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
MLB investigating Rays shortstop Wander Franco as team puts him on restricted list
Ex-San Jose State athletic trainer pleads guilty to sexually assaulting female athletes
Election board finds no pattern of nomination signature fraud in Rhode Island US House race
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Southern Arizona doctor dies while hiking in New Mexico with other physicians, authorities say
Mother pleads guilty to felony child neglect after 6-year-old son used her gun to shoot teacher
Luke Bryan cancels his Mississippi concert: What we know about his illness